About Me

My photo
I was born in Michigan and raised in The San Fernando Valley in California where I currently reside. I guess I'm what they call a "Valley Girl". I have experienced many things over the last thirty something years of my life...many have been heartbreaking. However, there have been many joys, three include, giving my life to Jesus, getting married and giving birth to my daughter Kemaya. Thank you God for such a precious gift!

Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Shake, Rattle and Roll

That's what it felt like today as I sat at my desk on the 9th floor during today's 5.4 magnitude earthquake. When I realized that it was an earthquake, I held on to my desk with both hands and fear began to set in. I immediately shut down my computer, grabbed my belongings and headed for the door. I met other co-workers in the hallway who were also frightened. They reminded me that it wouldn't be a good idea to take the elevator. Another co-worker said not to take the stairs. After discussing other options....which were not many, I started to settle down and then God reminded me of His promise, "Fear not for I am with you". I returned to my desk and started working again. Shortly after that my cell phone rang....it was a number I didn't recognize....I answered it. It was my husband calling from a co-worker's cell phone to make sure I was ok. He and his coworkers had evacuated their building. I tried calling daycare to check on Kemaya....the lines were down. About an hour later, my husband called me back...this time from his own cell phone to tell me that he had talked to the daycare and our precious baby girl was fine.....she was sleeping. :-)

It was during those 20 or 30 seconds of shaking that I saw my life flash before me. The thought of something happening and me not being able to get to my husband and daughter was frightening. I was reminded of how important it is to tell your family you love them daily.....to kiss your husband goodbye everyday....to live each day as if it were your last because no one is promised tomorrow.

3 comments:

Denise said...

I am praising God for keeping your family safe.

tammi said...

From one ValleyGirl to another, I'm glad you're all okay!!

I frequently wish I lived in a warmer part of the world, but earthquakes is something I'm definitely glad I don't have to deal with. I can only imagine the relief you must have felt when you found out your family was all safe.

B. said...

I can not imagine anything scarier than an earthquake. I have felt one (in Las Vegas many years ago) and it remains the scariest thing I can think of! To be able to calm down and go back to work had to be God's hand on you keeping you calm!